GOVT. COLLEGE KARSOG

History of GC Karsog

Government College Karsog, District Mandi (HP) was established in the year 1994 by the Government of Himachal Pradesh in order to fulfill the foremost objective of establishing an institution of higher educational facilities to the needy students of this remote area. Trotting on with toddling steps, college started its journey with 187 students (B.A. 176 and B.Sc. 11) and the number has risen to 2336 enrolled students in the session 2021-2022.

The picturesquely beautiful campus of Government College Karsog sprawling over more than three Acres nestles in the lap of nature. It is located at the centre of lush green valley of Karsog and provides ideal aesthetic environs with spiritual serenity in the proximity of the ancient Mamleshwar Mahadev temple. Geographically, on the one hand the verdant valley of Karsog bows to the Shikari Devi peak (Height 11000 ft), at the same time it spreads down to Kao by touching the feet of Goddess Kamaksha and further descends down to Parlog, the basin of river Sutlej. The place has been for long the seat of meditation of Gods and Goddesses and various eminent sages like Maharshi Bhrigu and Parshuram, etc.

It is believed that Pandavas also stayed here during their living-Incognito tenure and freed this land from the atrocities and terror of a demon King Bakasur. The demon had its dreadful terror among people and used to kill them for his food resulting into gloom and sorrow- Shog in one or other house. The great and powerful Bhima killed this demon and liberated people from their sorrows. In later times this place came to be popularly known as Karsog. Also known as Beosh region, the valley had been a territory of Suket’s domain. The famous Suket Satyagraha started from this valley in 1948.

  Read More About College